Have you ever wanted your entire breakfast packed into every bite? With the Stuffed Breakfast Tortilla, you’ll get just that. Every delicious bite will be full of hash browns, bacon, eggs, cheese, and buttery tortilla. This is a breakfast you should absolutely try. I loved it!
Using basic ingredients, you can change a typical breakfast into something more special and delicious. You can add whatever you like. Many people like to add slices of avocado 🥑. For the purpose of this post, I’ll list how I made it. Consider this recipe a guideline. Stray from it however you want. Make this your recipe. 🙂
First starter tip, if your tortillas are in the refrigerator, take them out now. Cold tortillas don’t fold very well.
Start by chopping up enough potatoes for how many breakfast squares you’d like to make. I’m calling it a square for the lack of a better word.
Brown them in a little olive oil. Once done, remove them from the pan and set aside.
Next cook your bacon. I like to use pre-cooked bacon since I always have some on hand. It lasts quite a while in the pantry.
If you fried your bacon, lightly wipe out the pan, leaving a little bacon fat to cook the egg in. If used a microwave or oven to cook your bacon, leave the oil left over from the hash browns to cook you eggs.
I like to leave the scrambled eggs all in one, round piece. It really doesn’t matter, you can break apart the egg if it’s easier for you.
Now it’s time to build up the square. The first layer is the flour tortilla.
Slide the eggs onto the tortilla.
Add the hash browns next.
Add the bacon.
Lastly, add the cheese.
Fold over the tortilla once. Hold it closed with a spatula until it stays folded on its own.
Then fold over the open ends. Do the same as before, using the spatula to hold it closed until it more or less stays in place. Keeping the square closed while you flip it over is the hardest part. Just do the best you can, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
Cook both sides until golden brown. Serve hot.
Per square / person.
- 1 flour tortilla
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup shredded potatoes (about 1 small potato or frozen harsh browns)
- 2 strips of bacon, cooked
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using fresh potatoes, cut and chop into small, hash brown sizes pieces. Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, flipping occasionally to make sure all sides are browned. Set aside.
- If using fresh bacon, fry it in the same pan you used to cook the potatoes. If using pre-cooked bacon, heat per instructions on box. Set aside. If you fried the bacon, lightly wipe out the pan, leaving some fat to cook the eggs in.
- In the same pan, cook the eggs . Season with salt and pepper. Leave in one piece or break apart. Cook the eggs until done. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and heat over medium-low. When the butter melts, add the tortilla.
- Now, build your square. Add the eggs on top of the tortilla, then top with potatoes, bacon, and cheese.
- Fold over tortilla and hold with a spatula until it stays folded on its own. Repeat with the open ends, forming a square. It may not want to stay all the way closed. As best as you can, using 2 spatulas, flip over the square and brown. Browning will take about 3 – 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and serve hot.