I’ve been making variations of this recipe for years. The breasts can be stuffed with almost anything you like to eat as long as it fits. I like using ham & cheese or asparagus & cheese but really, it’s pretty open to your imagination.
For the first time ever, I’m writing this recipe down. People ask how I make it and I never know exactly how to answer. I’ll be honest, when I cook I don’t measure anything. My eyes are my measuring cups and spoons. This time, I measured so I could pass this along to all of you.
The basic steps to making this are pretty simple.
Cut a pocket into a chicken breast, being careful to not cut through. I like to make a smaller incision and open it up more on the inside. It helps to eliminate the stuffing from oozing out.
Use toothpicks or string to seal up the breast.
Dip in egg and seasoned breadcrumbs.
Sear in a cast iron skillet, or any other oven safe pan. Personally, I think this recipe is best made in a cast iron skillet. It heats evenly and has no problem going right into the oven.
Many pans are oven safe, make sure the one you’re using is before you put it in the oven. If you’re not sure, transfer to a baking sheet or casserole pan.
Bake in the oven until it’s done. That’s it! 🙂
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- String or toothpicks to seal breasts
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Slightly precook broccoli in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Place, in separate shallow bowls, the egg and breadcrumbs.
- Create a “pocket” in each chicken breast by slicing into the side, being careful to not slice breast in half.
- Add 1/2 the cheese and 1/2 the broccoli to the pocket you made in the chicken breast. Tie, or use toothpicks, to hold the pocket closed while chicken is cooking.
- Dredge the breasts in egg and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Add olive oil to oven safe pan and heat to medium-high.
- Add chicken to the hot pan, bottom side up (you’ll flip it once, which will put the top side up for final baking) and sear for about 3 minutes on both sides.
- Place pan in oven and continue cooking for about 20 minutes, depending on breast size.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove toothpicks and serve with your favorite sides. THE PAN WILL BE VERY HOT! USE CAUTION WHEN HANDLING.
Makes 2 servings.