I never thought to grill lettuce before! Wow! It adds a lot of really good flavor. The grill taste reminded me of camping for some reason. With homemade croutons and grilled chicken, you’ve got yourself one tasty salad! 🥗
This makes 1 full-size dinner salad, which is plenty for a nice, healthy dinner. perfect for summer evenings. You might have some left over dressing to enjoy tomorrow 😋
Herb oil for brushing (taste as you go and adjust to your preference)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed rosemary
Dressing (taste as you go and adjust to your preference)
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (taste after adding 1)
- Juice from 1/2 a fresh lemon (garnish with other half)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 chicken breast or 3 chicken strips
- 2 slices of sourdough, Italian, or French bread
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat and clean grill. Adjust half of the grilling surface to medium-low heat (for the lettuce and bread). Adjust the second half to medium-high heat (for the chicken).
- Cut head of romaine in half longways. DO NOT cut the root end off. You want the lettuce to stay together. You will cut this off after grilling.
- On a plate or sheet pan, brush the oil mixture on both sides of the bread and lettuce. Brush both sides of the chicken.
- Cook chicken on medium-high heat until done.
- When chicken has about 6 or 7 minutes left to cook, continue to next steps.
- Place bread on medium-low heat and grill until the bread is crisp and has grill marks. Set aside if done before chicken.
- Grill lettuce for a few minutes on both sides. You want to see grill marks or some charing, but you don’t want to cook it. Set aside if done before chicken.
- Cut the root ends off lettuce and discard. Chop remaining lettuce into chunks and plate.
- Cut bread into rough cubes and add to salad.
- Add dressing to salad.
- Add Parmesan cheese.
- Top with chicken strips or sliced chicken breast.
- Garnish with remaining lemon wedges.
Serve and enjoy!