An Italian 🇮🇹 tradition. Very tasty and pretty easy to make. Give it a try, it’s worth it!
Stuffed Artichokes, stuffed with delicious Ritz Cracker stuffing and Italian herbs. Sure to be a hit as an appetizer or main course. Impress your dinner guests with this mouthwatering meal!
- 2 artichokes, washed
- 2 lemons, halved
- 6 Tbs butter (4 for stuffing / 2 for dipping)
- 4 garlic minced cloves
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 4 cups crushed Ritz Crackers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- Italian season, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Fill a pot with a few inches of water, and place a steamer basket on top. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer.
- Use a knife to cut off around 1-inch from the top of the artichoke.
- Cut off the stem to form a flat base.
- Remove any small, tough outer leaves and discard them.
- Use scissors to cut off the sharp tips of the leaves.
- Carefully pull open the leaves so you can see down to the choke.
- Use a spoon to scrape away the fuzzy chokes and discard. You want a nice clean heart. This might take a bit of muscle but it will come off.
- Squeeze lemon juice inside and also rub on the outside of each artichoke.
- Place the artichokes, upside down, in the steamer. Cover and steam until they are almost as tender as you’d eat them steamed, about 15-20 minutes. To check for doneness, a leaf should pull off without much force. When done, remove from steamer and let cool enough you can handle them.
While artichokes are steaming preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt butter in a large pan over low-medium heat. Let it simmer about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon.
- Add wine.
- Stir together and simmer on low for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed Ritz Crackers and parsley. Stir then remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with Italian Seasonings, salt, and pepper. Let cool.
- Place artichokes, top side up, in a baking dish.
- Use a spoon and your hands to fill the center of each artichoke with the stuffing. Fit in as much as you can.
- Pull leaves slightly apart and add stuffing.
- Sprinkle the top of each artichoke with Parmesan cheese.
- Place artichokes in the preheated oven and bake until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with melted butter or mayonnaise for dipping the leaves.